Too Close to Home

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Some of Reedy’s own students have experienced the effects of this disease first hand.

“At last year’s pink out pep rally my mom had just been announced cancer free, and now she’s been in remission for almost two years,” sophomore Faith Bollom said. “The experience brought my family closer together and made me more aware of the disease and how lucky we are to have her alive and healthy because a lot of people don’t get that.”
Freshman Abby Chapman also knows what it’s like to have breast cancer within her family, however, her experience is all too new.
“My mom was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer, but it feels amazing to know that my team and the school is supporting me and my mom through the past couple of months,” Chapman said. “I never expected something like this to happen, so at first I was a little surprised, but it feels really good to know I have people to support me.”
Mrs. Chapman has been fighting her greatest battle, and with all the support from her friends and family, she has the confidence and ability to beat this disease.
“I just want to thank everyone who’s supported my family, it’s helped more than you know,” Chapman said. “This month means a lot more to me now; you never know what could happen.”
This month means a great deal to Student Council advisor Alexandra Caldwell and her family. When she was only 19 years old, her mother passed away from breast cancer. Her grandmother also had breast cancer but was able to beat it.
“Raising awareness brings something to the front of people’s minds and results in people wanting to get checked or even talking about it among their friends and coworkers,” Caldwell said. “This disease is not going anywhere and we need to make sure we stay proactive in our health and the health of our loved ones by conducting research and supporting organizations that fight this disease.”
To prepare for this month StuCo has designed shirts to help raise money and awareness for our school and community, put posters up around the school, and asked students if they wanted to donate money and put names of loved ones or even their own name on cut out hearts and footballs. All the money raised will be donated to the Breast Cancer Foundation.
“I think it’s so important to value the people around you and realize that life is short,” STuCo member Isabelle Walsh said. “We need to help out as much as we can and make people aware of how common this disease really is.”
Raising awareness not only spreads the word about the disease but also teaches others on what they may need to do if they or their loved ones have breast cancer.
“I want people to know that this disease can affect anyone and that early detection is vital in beating cancer,” Caldwell said. “Education is the key to this awareness month – what to do when to do it, how to do it, where to go, who can help, and how a person can help others.”
While breast cancer takes so many lives each year, there are also many survivors, and when they share their story it inspires others to raise awareness and fight for a cure.
“This month represents hope for me and my family, and I am so blessed to have my mom with me today,” Bollom said. “We’ve learned not to take anything for granted and love each day like it’s our last because you never know when that day might come.”