Hurricane Tragically Hits Southeast Texas

Catastrophe hits home for several students

David J Phillip

David J Phillip

David J Phillip

Katharine Walker, Senior Reporter

Disaster strikes Southeast Texas as Harvey, a Category 4 hurricane, breaches mainland from the Gulf of Mexico on Friday, August 25. After losing strength and becoming a tropical storm, Harvey idled in the Houston-Victoria area, leaving damage and destruction in its wake.

“I believe this hurricane [was] worse than Katrina,” sophomore Malini Prasad said. “It has already caused flooding, building damage, loss of lives, injuries, and gas shortages.”

Thousands of people near the Texas coast flocked North to escape the overflow of water left in the streets as a result of the storm.

“My whole family on my dad’s side lives on the coast in the Houston-Victoria area,” sophomore Cassidy Wisneski said. “They all evacuated and are at my house right now.”

Building damage occurred due to the surge of water in the streets of Houston. It is estimated that the city’s recovery from the disaster could take more than 10 years and cost over 180 billion dollars. 

“[My dad’s family] put sand around their doors so that it would make it harder for water to get in,” Wisneski said. “They also put all their furniture upstairs or in the attic just so it would not get as damaged.”

Many people across the U.S. have compared the Harvey’s casualties to Katrina, the hurricane that devastated the New Orleans area in 2005. While the material damage of Harvey was much more significant, the death toll has remained drastically lower compared to Katrina.

“[This hurricane] has hit a lot of Texas,” Wisneski said. “We are in a better economical state than Louisiana was when Katrina hit, so I think it will be easier for us to get back from it.”

Even before Harvey hit, the storm had received a great deal of media attention from all around the world.

“I moved from California, so a lot of people from there knew I was in Texas,” junior Edenn Park said. “They would text us or message us asking, ‘Are you okay?’ They didn’t know exactly where we were and we would tell them that we were okay, and we were more North from the affected area.”

This isn’t the first time a hurricane has hit Texas in the past decade; in fact, many people affected by Harvey have experienced other life-threatening storms in the past.

“During Ike, I had other family living down there,” Wisneski said. “My uncle got stuck in his house when he lived in Galveston, so we lost him for 48 hours and had to go rescue him.”

Organizations around the world have been contributing to help the people down in the coastal regions of Texas, including schools, churches, and other non-profit managements. Students here can donate to the Harvey Drive box located in the rotunda.

“My family donated to the Red Cross to help out [the people at] Harvey,” Prasad said. “[The storm] didn’t directly affect us, but we still were able to donate to help the people in need.”