There’s 104 Days of Summer Vacation

Students and staff reflect over their summers

Salvator Ventura

Salvator Ventura

Hanah Kim, Senior Reporter

The last bell of the day sounded, marking the beginning of the long-awaited summer. Bustling students poured out of classrooms filling up the hallways as they rushed to exit the building, some lingering around with their friends.

Each student and teacher alike had a distinct summer whether they took an elaborate vacation to a foreign country like sophomore Namrata Veeramalla, who took a vacation to India or simply stayed home binge watching Netflix shows.

“Summer vacation is a time of happiness and joy,” sophomore Veeramalla said. “It helps create lasting memories in a person’s life.”

Veeramalla and her family spent their unforgettable summer in India, where they made many memories with their family and friends. One exceptional impression the country left on the student is their amusement park.

“I had a really good summer this year,” she said. “I rode a lot of rides like roller coasters and water rides. I was a little nervous at first, but when I was actually on it, it was really exciting.”

Going to one foreign country is an accomplishment in itself, but seven countries in two weeks adds a whole other level of adventure.

“I went to England, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands,” sophomore Cassidy Wisneski said. “I got to go up the Eiffel Tower and went to see the Anne Frank House.“

Vacation isn’t the only notable thing students did over the summer: sophomore Caleb Sulkin, for instance, who got his first job over the summer.

“It was pretty cool,” Sulkin said. “I worked as a camp counselor; we went camping, and we got to track Bigfoot.”

Students were not the only ones with summer vacations, Spanish teacher Señora Morales had an especially remarkable summer as she travelled to Italy and England.

“I spent a week in Tuscany living like a local resident in a rent house,” she said. “To get to our house we had to drive on a very small road where you couldn’t hear a thing. The view was fantastic and the food was delicious. I felt like I was part of a movie.”

However, traveling wasn’t the only thing she did; in fact, she also took classes to complete her Master’s in Counseling. Meanwhile, Humanities teacher Mrs. Boivie taught AP Summer Institute sessions for AP World History.

“I taught at the University of Arkansas in Little Rock, the University of Texas at Dallas, the University of Texas at Tyler and at Texas A&M International University in Laredo,” Boivie said. “I enjoyed meeting and working with so many different teachers.”

As summer vacation ends and the new school year starts, students and teachers take time to reflect upon the last few months.

“We have to learn to enjoy the small things, like a view, the taste of food, and the smell of lavender,” Sra. Morales said. “It is precious and life is short.”