Reedy’s Back, Alright

Students reflect on the new school year

Andrew Iniguez, Senior Reporter

It’s that time of year again; the warm summer air is cooling down to a cool fall breeze. Backpacks and school supplies leave their dusty storage and reunite with society again, as students of all ages return back to school. Another year begins, and new memories emerge.

On Aug. 21, students entered the school to begin a new year. New clubs and organizations are available to everyone to participate in. Ninth graders, fresh from middle school integrate into Reedy High, and teachers rejoice in the sound of everyone returning.

“It’s so much more fun to be back with the students here, rather than having to work by ourselves during the summertime,” Principal Karen LeCocq said “We always look forward to see everyone return because the students and teachers are what make this building a school. I don’t think there’s a person who doesn’t enjoy the return of school. We welcome you all back.”

Students of all grades are encouraged to take part in the dozens of clubs and organizations offered to them. From NHS to Comic Book Club, Reedy has a variety of different packs anyone can join, including Best Buddies.

“I’m in Best Buddies, which is a lot of fun,” junior Sophie Czimback said. “You get to build friendships with kids with special needs and it’s really uplifting to help out.”

On Sept. 20, every club gets to come together in what is known as the community pep rally, where everyone sets up booths pertaining to their particular club; kids can come in and enjoy all of the different organizations the school has to offer.

“I love the Community Pep Rally,” AP David Westhora said. “Seeing that interaction between the students and the rest of the community is something I look forward to every year.”

But what’s school without the actual learning of math, science, reading, and so on? Although starting a new year can be rough, through the help of our fellow lions, students can quickly get back into the swing of things.

“The school year’s been going by great,” Czimback said. “My teachers this year are pretty nice and are great at easing everyone back into their school routines.”

This year the school has seniors for the very first time. The class of 2018 is the first graduating class of Reedy High, and Principal LeCocq is incredibly excited about that.

“The thing I’m looking forward to most this year is the fact that we have seniors now,” Lecocq said. “Having that first graduating class is incredible because the whole purpose of school is to prepare people for what’s next past high school, and the celebration of that is graduation and celebrating together.”

And so the new school year starts, for some it’s the last. And like any other year, it won’t be easy. There will be a few bumps in the road, but in the end, we’ll all pull together, because we are one pride, one lion, one school.

“I’m looking forward to joining more clubs and getting more involved in the school,” Czimback said. “I feel like everyone should take part in the high school experience. Go to football games, dance at prom, cheer at pep rallies. Be a part of Reedy.”