A Year in Review

FISD faces repercussions of Tax Ratification Election

Emilie Lutostanski

Emilie Lutostanski

Emily Hines, Senior Reporter

With Frisco ISD’s recent exponential growth, voters had cast ballots in the District’s Tax Ratification Election in August of last year. The majority of voters decided not to ratify the higher tax rate, rolling it back to its previous $1.46. The budget cuts have added limitations, and the new restrictions sparked controversy among parents, staff members, and students.

The TRE should have been passed to accommodate for Frisco’s growing education system.

First, with the TRE not being passed, multiple schools have added fees for school additives, such as the parking passes or Pay to Play payments that are affecting athletes. These extra purchases have created aggravation among parents and students due to the unaffordability of the fees. With this, students and parents are now held financially responsible for many of their extracurricular activities, causing an added struggle when it comes to managing family budgets.

Secondly, teachers are now limited in attending conferences and training sessions that would contribute to students receiving a better education. Band directors, for example, are now rationed on the number of instructive conferences they can attend, restraining their learning and therefore harming the students’ education. The restrictions on attendance to these symposiums have already had a negative effect on the overall education system. If these staff members had been given the opportunity to attend their desired sessions, then they would have possibly been able to implement new learning styles and tools into their classrooms and inspire intrapersonal growth within the students.

Lastly, another side effect has been budget cuts for in-class activities and new hires.  Regarding the latter, many teachers claim that their classes have grown in size since the passing of the TRE, delimiting the ability for a staff member to know every child by name and need, as dictated by the Frisco ISD mission statement. Teachers have had to also pick up custodial responsibilities within the classroom with the shortage of custodial staff as a result of the budget changes.

While those who voted against the TRE believed that it was an end to a period of productivity, the vote to not ratify the tax rate has created dysfunctional repercussions in the education system. Many Frisco voters were either misinformed, or uninformed, about the possible pros to passing the higher tax rate. Some district voters hope to see the tax ratification arise in the next election in order to better the district’s educational policies. The Tax Ratification Election should have resulted in a tax increase in order to preserve the motto of Frisco ISD and inspire individual growth.