Red Ribbon Week

The annual Red Ribbon Week sparks discussion among students regarding drug awareness.

Photo by Abby Ruff

Photo by Abby Ruff

Katharine Walker, Sr. Reporter

Students displayed their pride in living a drug-free life by participating in the annual Red Ribbon Week held on the week of Oct. 23. Each day had a specific theme relating to keeping drugs out of students’ lives.

On Monday, students wore red. Tuesday was “Too Bright Tuesday” encouraging students to wear neon. Students put on their cowboy hats and boots for “Western Wednesday”, followed by jerseys for “Team Up Thursday”. Finally, students wore scary costumes ending the week, for “Freaky Friday.”

“Whoever dressed up showed that they support drug awareness,” sophomore Bryce Lemaire said. “I saw one person dress up as an actual cowboy on Wednesday for western wear.”

It’s arguable that Friday was a favorite among students, as many costumes were spotted among the halls.

“I wore a skeleton dress, skeleton tights, and Halloween socks for Freaky Friday,” sophomore Apurva Nair said. “That was probably my favorite day to dress up for.”

Drugs are a major problem among high school students across the country. Red Ribbon Week is an annual event that occurs across schools in the country to dissuade students from choosing drugs all throughout their lives.

“Drugs are advertised and marketed towards teens,” sophomore Alex Hines said. “It’s a combination of peer pressure and the portrayal of drugs being ‘cool.’”

During Pride Time on Red Ribbon Week, students participated in the “Instead of drugs, I choose…” campaign where everyone including teachers, staff, and students chose goals they want to achieve in life instead of using drugs.

“If students do drugs, they are never going to accomplish their goals,” Lemaire said. “They wouldn’t be able to work straight or get the perfect job they wanted. If they do one drug, that can mess up their entire future.”

Red Ribbon Week helps bring into attention the effects of drugs on a student’s life. Realizing the consequences of drugs can help teens make safe choices throughout the rest of adolescence.

“Drugs can completely ruin a student’s career,” Hines said. “Drugs should never be used, honestly; they can ruin lives.”