Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Floral Design is Here For You

Students discuss the unique features of Floral Design

Photo by Jordan Peichel

Photo by Jordan Peichel

Hanah Kim, Sr. Reporter

The floral display was boldly arranged as blossoms of all hues were thrown together and tied with a simple white ribbon. This creative display would become one of the many showcases of nature for students in Frisco to admire.

As the school broadens its selection of courses, many classes, such as Floral Design, have grown popular with the student body. This class in particular gives insight to future careers like florists and event planners.

“It’s important that students take ownership over their education, and search for classes that would not only be interesting to them but also help them with their career goals,” Floral Design teacher Kendrick Spencer said. “Furthermore, I think the variety of classes offered at Reedy help create a well rounded student.”

Floral Design serves as a CTE and fine arts credit, allowing students to become certified florists “which allows them to gain jobs during college, the summer, or part time in a floral shop or with wedding and event planners,” Spencer said.

“We learn about various techniques, different flowers, and how to arrange them so that they interact well,” sophomore Emmanuelle Taylor said. “We are taught about design styles, including elements like shape and color.”

Students participating in this class are expected to engage in community projects in addition to learning. Additionally, because it is an agricultural class, it provides students with many extracurricular opportunities.

“One of the greatest parts of being in an agricultural class, is that students can join the Reedy FFA,” Spencer said. “Floral Design has it’s own contest at the Collin County Junior Livestock Show and Fair, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, and a series of contests that can progress to the state level for FFA called Floriculture.”

Students have already assisted in creating mums, garters, mum rings, and spirit sticks during homecoming season. During Halloween season, students learned to make candy arrangements.

“Students will also be creating Christmas or holiday wreaths and centerpieces for Thanksgiving and fall,” he said. “During Valentine’s and Mother’s Day, we create arrangements that the students can take home to their loved ones.”

These, however, are not the only projects the class has in mind for its students as there are still many more to come, such as when the students learn to plan their ideal wedding or party.

“My favorite time of the year is when the students create a design board for their dream wedding or party from the tuxedos and dresses, to the silverware and place settings,” Spencer said. “My other favorite aspect is to watch as the students improve their designing abilities as the year progresses.”

Sophomore Nicole Rubin enjoys how the class is interactive allowing them to showcase their creativity and work with their classmates to construct the best possible design.

“This class is different from others in that it applies other subjects, like the science of flowers, mathematics, and art,” Taylor said. “My favorite part of this class is the people; they’re really fun to spend time with.”

Students currently in Floral Design recommend this class to anyone looking for a class  where they can utilize their creativity while working alongside like-minded people.

“I truly encourage everyone to take Floral Design,” Spencer said. “This class takes your creativity and pushes it to even further limits. We have several projects that encourage artistic freedom, and I truly love seeing the students’ creative minds at work.”