Sitting in the Chair

Sponsor's of the Blood Drive express the importance of donating

Gillian Brooks

Gillian Brooks

Andrew Iniguez, Sr. Reporter

Sitting in a chair to most people is just an act of comfort, to replenish a need of rest after a long day’s work. But to others, sitting in that chair in the school gym to donate blood is an important thing to do. One out of seven hospital patients require a blood transfusion, and sitting in that chair can save up to three lives.

On Dec. 15, the annual Carter Blood Care donation occured in the school gym from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Seniors who donate twice in the school year can earn a red cord for their graduation. HOSA Adviser Stacie Fischer encourages students to give blood.

“Every single blood donation is life-saving, life-enriching and life-changing for all involved.” Fischer said. “Each blood donation saves up to three lives and high school blood drives supply 20 percent of the blood in the community.”

National Honor Society Adviser Kelly Munro has exerted herself on blood drives for ten years, and after a personal experience with her son she was inspired to give back.

When he was born, there were some complications and we both needed blood transfusions. We are alive because of a blood donor.” Munro said. “So without someone sitting in the chair to help us, my son may honestly not be here today.”

Donating blood comes with a lot of different benefits. It’s great to put on a college application, it’s a great way to earn service hours, and most importantly, it allows donors to give a part of themselves for someone else.

“I chose to donate blood because it’s good to give back to the community,” senior donor Sydnee Roberson said. “It’s incredible how you can help save someone’s life just by giving blood.”

This year, the Carter BloodCare is desperate for donors. Due to a lot of involvement in extracurricular activities, not as many students are donating blood, and hospitals are in great need of it.

“Most people don’t realize how much blood is used, for example a major car accident; someone could need up to fifty pints of blood.” Munro said. “That’s fifty people sitting in the chair to donate blood to save from the car accident. In other words, there is a huge demand for blood. It does have a shelf life; you can’t get it all now and hope you’ll need it in six years. The blood will last on the shelf for only two months.”

In order to sign up for future donations, students who are 16 need two signed parental forms to turn in by the requested date, either in the front office or at B115. 17- and 18-year-old students don’t need forms, but do have to bring photo ID. To be eligible to donate, students need to be at least 110 pounds.

“It’s extremely important to eat a healthy meal and drink a lot of water the day of donating.” Fischer said. “This is not a normal habit of high school students, so it can lead to complications after giving blood or possibly not able to give blood, which would be very unfortunate.”

Sign up for the blood donation at http://bit.ly/decdrive. Students who want to volunteer to help out at the donation can click bit.ly/blooddriveworker. Anyone who is interested in the Carter BloodCare in general can learn more information at http://www.carterbloodcare.org/.

“It’s very important to make sure you’re giving back.” Munro said. “It’s great to know I saved people’s’ lives here in the area. You never know when it might be you who needs that, or a family member, or a friend. You just never know what’s going to happen.”