It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Students bring holiday cheer to children in the community

Hanah Kim, Sr. Reporter

A new and improved Adopt-an Angel, coordinated by the Student Council, delivered donated items to their respective angels right in time for the holiday.

“Adopt-an-Angel is a part of the Small World program dealing with local partnership of area schools, communities and companies,” Ms. Caldwell, StuCo sponsor, said. “Their mission is to assist struggling families focusing especially on the needs of children.”

Clubs that “adopt” an angel collect gift donations based off the angel’s wishlist. Accumulated items will be delivered to the angel for the holidays.

“This year volleyball raised over $600 for our two angels,” Coach Rackley, volleyball coach said. “We took the volleyball program to shop for their angels and the emotions they felt for the children made me feel like I was giving these athletes an opportunity they may have never had before.”

Students are given the opportunity to make a difference through their contributions to the donation drive whether by donating gift cards or spreading the word. Recently, the volleyball team volunteered at the It’s a Small World Angel Tree helping out with the Adopt-an-Angel drive.

“I decided to volunteer with Small World Organization because it gives straight back to students in FISD,” Rackley said.  “The program has always welcomed us with open arms and allowed volleyball and teen leadership classes to come help without any issues.”

StuCo President Isabella Walsh has set their goal to improving the program for the angels and making sure they have a fulfilling holiday season.

“To support people that are less fortunate makes for a stronger community,” Caldwell said. “Plus, it feels great to know that you are helping others out. The impact a student makes by their generosity may not be seen but it sure is appreciated by those who need it.”

Walsh encourages all students to participate as “each donation counts and makes a difference!”

“I find it meaningful to see an administration and organizations reminding the community that they should reach out in an altruistic way to others,” Mr. Neve, English teacher, said. “It allows us to realize that in our culture there are enormous demographic imbalances which deserve a meaningful cultural response.”