Tick Tock We Don’t Need A Clock

Staff writers discuss whether or not a clock should be placed in the rotunda

Katharine Walker, Sr. Reporter

After many students mentioned the convenience of placing a clock in the rotunda, the issue has gained the administration’s attention. The numerous opinions of the staff and students has caused the debate on whether or not a clock should be bought.

In essence, the newspaper staff believes the rotunda should stay void of a clock despite the beliefs of some members of the student body.

Placing a clock in the rotunda or front hall would take away from the sophisticated design of the building. Expense wise, the clock would have to be digital because a big, analog one would be too costly as well as hard to acquire. Plus, some students believe that analog clocks would be too hard to read. With the rotunda’s style being grand with many arches, bridges of other floors, and a high, domed ceiling, a small, red, digital clock would simply spoil this design.

Secondly, not placing a clock in the rotunda wouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience to the students and staff. With everyone either now having a phone or watch, it isn’t hard to check the time when walking into the school. Technology is a fundamental part of students’ lives, as it is the 21st century, so it shouldn’t be a problem to use it to glance at the time or wait a few seconds until a clock is present in a hallway.

Finally, acquiring a clock would be too expensive for the school to handle. Since the building is three years old, the property budget doesn’t exist anymore to handle issues like these. Maybe if this matter had come up earlier, gaining a clock wouldn’t be a problem money-wise, but since the school is older, the money would have to come from other budgeting purposes. Unless having a clock in the rotunda is so much more important than sports, fine arts, and classes that the school funds for, it’s simply not a priority to provide.

Opposers to the administration’s thoughts on this issue say that the school “needs” a clock somewhere in the front hall or adjacent hallways because it is the first thing expected when one walks into a school. However, it is rare for students to not have their phone on them considering that mobile devices are an essential aspect of life in 2018. In addition, a clock wouldn’t fit in with the design of the rotunda.   

Altogether, having a clock shouldn’t be on the administration’s list of priorities. Frankly, placing a clock in the front hall would be more of an inconvenience than a benefit for the school because of its detrimental impact to the building’s style as well as it being out of budget.