A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

Students and teachers reflect on the Pennies for Patients fundraiser

Hanah Kim, Sr. Reporter

The school has wrapped up Pennies for Patients after raising a total of $2,500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society campaign.

“Pennies for patients is a service learning, character education and philanthropy program where students gain the unique experience of helping thousands of children and adults in their fight against blood cancers,” StuCo sponsor Mrs. Caldwell said. “There is nothing better then giving to a worthy cause that has huge impacts on other people’s lives.”

Señora Lau and Mrs. Clay’s classes were awarded with the Olive Garden lunch for raising the most money within the time span.

I was very proud of the kids,” Lau said. “I think they encouraged each other to donate because it also became ‘our thing’ as a team.  We have a little bit of a competitive side, but this class is like a family, so we joined forces to help out.”

A total of 14 million students in 30,000 schools in the U.S. participated in this fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s School & Youth Program. All students were given the opportunity to donate in their respective 3B classes and were encouraged to contribute.

“It is important to be part of a community in helping patients that are in need,” Clay said. “We always have something to give others, it may seem as insignificant, but it is significant to the recipient.”

This year students were able to donate in the name of Skylar, a student attending Reedy.

“We had one of our Pride, Skylar who really made this a personal drive for Reedy,” Caldwell said. “This year, we saw first hand someone who goes to our school be affected in their health. Being able to help her and others that are in the same situation is beneficial for all stakeholders.”

Pennies for Patients was an event organized by the Student Council to raise funds and a consciousness for cancer research.Quote: “This cause helped bring awareness to students and children who are in the hospital due to severe illnesses and diseases.  When we come together as one we make a bigger impact,” Clay said. “We are so glad that we were able to help the cause!”