Dreams Shattered

Students experience the effects of drinking and driving

Chloe Freeman and Jordan Epple

The students and staff participated in the Shattered Dreams program on April 5 and 6, a few weeks before prom. This two-day event is designed to educate students about underage drinking and driving by providing a realistic experience and encouraging them to make positive choices.

“It was one of the best experiences of my life,” crash site participant, Emma Vestal said. “I think we really captured a realistic story that was emotional and hit home.”

Shattered Dreams began when the student body viewed a short video of a party scene before students filed out to the parking lot to witness the aftermath of a staged crash scene with first responders arriving as if it were real.

“The party was a significant part of the program because that is our reality,” senior Carly Roth said. “The crash was very traumatic, but it helped show students what truly can happen if you are distracted or make bad choices.”

During the crash scene, some of the actors “died” while the survivors interacted with the police and fire department response teams. The drunk driver was even administered a real sobriety test, and was arrested and booked at the Frisco City Jail.

“One mistake can lead to so much,” executive producer and senior, Zak Denley said. “The loss, grief, money, everything. We really wanted people to know about that cause and effects of this real life situation.”

Throughout the day, the Grim Reaper entered a classroom every 15 minutes and selected a student victim, known as the “Living Dead”.  These students represented someone who was killed in an alcohol-related accident. As they were pulled from their classes, a police officer read an obituary that was written by their parents.  

“It got the message across well of how serious and common this issue is,” Jake Meyer, the Grim Reaper said. “I think the production of Shattered Dreams showed the severity of such a situation as drinking and driving.”

When the filming was finally finished, the behind-the-scenes editors quickly got to work on editing the film while the parents of the victims rehearsed their eulogies for the memorial service the next morning.  

“The performance went really well,” senior editor Andy Porter said. “It was a good experience of bringing such a large scale of people together, working to create something that we’re all really proud of. ”