New Fish Swim at Reedy

Freshmen Lions reflect on their first couple days at Reedy

New Fish Swim at Reedy

Freshmen work in English 1 with Mrs. Evans

Olivia Marbury

Olivia Marbury

Olivia Marbury

Olivia Marbury, Sr. Reporter

Although the familiar, sheltered atmosphere the class of 2022 was accustomed to in middle school has been somewhat stripped away, there seems to be a trend of confidence and excitement for the new school year here at Reedy.

“The work here doesn’t seem to be as stressful,” freshman Jacob Heard said. “We have two days to do it compared to middle school, but it’s still different.”

Confidence on the first day seems to be no issue for the newbies. Heard adds that although getting around the big school was new, his main worry was whether or not he was going “to have friends in classes”.

“Cub Camp was fun,” Heard said. “I got to see most of my friends and got to meet some new people which made it easier for the first day of school.”

In these four short years of high school, teens are given a small taste of the real world. Students are expected to grow up and mature and as many Reedy seniors can remember, becoming a freshman can be a challenging time.

“My favorite classes are Spanish, Journalism, and Orchestra,” freshman Gabrielle Burnett said. “And I’m also excited to join some clubs.”

Olivia Marbury
One freshman, Asher Wood, works on an assignment in class

Although the class of 2022 are bright-eyed, confident, and excited for the new year, there’s no denying the existing and evident adjustment from middle to high school.

“High school is getting better as the time goes on,” freshman Teresa Simon said. “I’m finding my way around the school and all of that.”

Freshman year is the time where students find themselves and discover who they are and what they want to be. There’s so much unknown; however, a freshman’s self-assurance  shines brightly to students in other classes.

“I don’t want to say this year’s freshmen are cocky but they are definitely more confident,” sophomore Reagan Witkowski said. “Last years freshmen were very quiet and more aware and worried of the upperclassmen while this year’s freshmen don’t seem to care too much on how they’re looked at.”

Witkowski adds that “at cub camp many of the freshmen didn’t want to participate”, which questions whether the confidence is true confidence or simply a “freshmen front.”

“Some advice I’d give to freshman is to go out and get involved,” junior Anna Deardoff said. “Join clubs, participate, go to dances, and support your classmates at games. It’s fun and makes the experience more enjoyable.”