What Are Those Gold Ribbons?

Students discuss the Gold Ribbon campaign and how they show support for childhood cancer awareness

What Are Those Gold Ribbons?

Students show childhood cancer awareness by wearing gold ribbons.

Logan O'Connor

Logan O'Connor

Logan O'Connor

Logan O'Connor, Jr. Reporter

When we think of cancer awareness, our minds move towards the pink hues of October, but gold is the new pink for childhood cancer awareness. In 1997, the American Childhood Cancer Organization, or ACCO started their Gold Ribbon campaign, an effort similar to the pink ribbons we all know and love of October. For childhood cancer the month of awareness was deemed to be September, and for this year’s round of donations and increased-awareness, Reedy has joined the cause.

Casey Wright, senior and Drum Major of the Reedy Band, hopes to see more positive growth for the campaign in the future. “It has some growth to do, it’s definitely not like October where everything’s pink,” she remarks, “but that can be a goal: to make September yellow.” Casey, as well as many other band, Sapphire, and football students, were recently introduced to the campaign, with many students having no knowledge of what the gold ribbon meant prior to the football game. The band in particular took a portion of their class to view statistics regarding the relatively low funding that goes towards Childhood Cancer, an activity that Casey believes helped illustrate to the students how important the Gold Ribbon campaign really is.

Members of the Band, Sapphires, and Football team held a specially-themed football game on Sept. 7th where all of which wore gold-ribbons to support awareness. A young boy battling with cancer was also escorted onto the field in praise support of his strength in the face of a life-threatening disease. The event, while seen by many as step in the right direction, is just the beginning for Reedy’s campaign to raise funds for the cause.

According to the ACCO website 10,000 children under the age of 15 diagnosed with cancer annually, and 84% of families struck with childhood cancer struggling with financial hardship, making pediatric cancer is an issue that is usually too costly for most families to tackle alone. This is one of the goals that our own Reedy High School is hoping to help, with all raised funding going directly towards The ACCO.

Founded in 1970, the organization has been providing financial aid to families affected by childhood cancer. However, there is still much room for improvement, as the foundation receives only an estimated $30 million dollars annually. While this may seem large at first glance, when compared to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation’s $843 million received in the same year, it becomes clear as to why the ACCO is wanting extra attention.

Many of our students here hope that in the future Reedy can take even greater steps towards raising awareness, “If we could make it so that it’s like a yellow-out, just like the pink-out, we could raise more awareness,” Wright said, “Funds from the shirts could then be going towards the foundation.”

Reedy is hopeful to clear up any mystery surrounding the ribbon’s meaning, and wants to make it a recurring symbol for years to come. With the gold ribbon making its debut here, the student body, as well as the families of those afflicted with childhood cancer, are optimistic for future growth of the campaign. 

All Statistic Graphs used from: “Home.” ACCO, 31 Mar. 2018, www.acco.org