Sapphires Host Third Annual Clinic for Junior Dancers

Mrs. Platt and some Sapphire students discuss their preparation for their upcoming clinic

Sapphires and junior dancers form a circle in the gym during a previous clinic

Amiya Chennappan, Staff Writer

The third annual Little Miss Sapphire Junior Dance Clinic will be held on Saturday October 20, 2018 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. The clinic is open for kindergarten through eighth graders to learn Sapphire choreography and team building.

A group of Sapphires and junior dancers bond during their clinic

Although Reedy is a newer school, having a junior clinic is a long-held tradition among Texas high school drill teams.

“It brings a bond and relationship with younger members,” Kristy Platt, Director of Dance, said. “Eventually those students will be Reedy students and could possibly be interested in being a part of the Sapphires, so it’s important to create that bond early.”

Most kids from Reedy’s feeder schools that come to the clinic don’t have studio training, but Platt says they still love dancing.

“We always have a great response, and the kids enjoy having fun,” Platt said. “They always leave here feeling like they have been apart of something special.”  

An important aspect of the experience is the relationship between big sisters and little sisters.

“We get to show them how we encourage each other positively,” Abby Ewton, Sapphire Social Officer, said. “The girls each get to make individual relationships with the kids.”

The Sapphire officers teach the kids a warm-up, choreography for their age group, and the fight song. Each of the three different age groups will also get to perform at the end of the clinic in front of all their parents.

Participants of the second annual Little Miss Sapphires pose for a group picture

“I think it’s exciting because they get to show their parents all that they learned,” Ewton said. “They can just be proud of what they accomplished in a short amount of time.”  

Ewton says many of the students that come to the clinic leave wanting to join the Sapphires when they come to Reedy, and that’s exactly what the clinic encourages.

“I think every kid needs something to aspire to be or something to dream about,” Platt said. “High school students have a responsibility to set the tone for something a kid can dream about.”