ITS Hosts Socktober Drive

ITS officers discuss their new fundraiser they brought to Reedy

One+bucket+is+located+in+the+cafeteria.+

ITS Hosts Socktober Drive

One bucket is located in the cafeteria.

One bucket is located in the cafeteria.

Katharine Walker

One bucket is located in the cafeteria.

Katharine Walker

Katharine Walker

One bucket is located in the cafeteria.

Katharine Walker, Editor-in-Chief

Theater’s International Thespian Society (ITS) introduced Socktober, an October-only fundraiser that benefits those in the community. During the drive, they will be collecting socks and gloves to give to homeless shelters.

Katharine Walker
The drive has been successful with students dropping off socks.

“Just the little action of dropping off a pair of socks can greatly impact someone else’s life,” historian of ITS, Amelia Thomas said.“It’s honestly a really easy and great way to volunteer.”

Buckets are located in the cafeteria, rotunda, and the theater room in F Hall for students to drop off items.

“Socks and gloves are always something shelters need,” secretary and treasurer of ITS, Sydney Stevens said. “Donating to this cause can greatly impact the community around us.”

Thomas brought the idea of Socktober to ITS. With this drive, she specifies that the donations “will go to the closest homeless shelter, which is most likely the Samaritan Inn.”

Katharine Walker
One bucket is located in theater room.

“The idea behind Socktober is not my own,” Thomas said. “It’s actually from the YouTube organization, SoulPancake that started it a few years back. I got inspired by it, and it’s just something that I always wanted to bring to Reedy, so I brought it to Mr. Shurr, and he had the idea of making it an ITS thing.”

ITS hopes to “help impact the community” by starting this drive. Steven notes that Socktober enables students to provide what some people cannot provide for themselves.

“This drive has been really successful,” vice president of ITS, Jillian Rayes said. “I’ve actually had quite a few people who want to donate or who already have approach me about this fundraiser. We already have quite a few donations.”

Katharine Walker
Another bucket is located in the rotunda.

With  ITS’s efforts towards this fundraiser, their goal to embody the Reedy core value of community has been successful.  

“Socktober is not something would describe as a big-deal fundraiser, as it is more local,” Thomas said. “But, it really helps impact the people around us. To me, a lot of people think that changing someone else’s life is a daunting task, but this drive makes it easy to do so.”

Be sure to drop off all socks and gloves to the buckets before November 1 to either the cafeteria, rotunda, or Mr. Shurr’s room.