Theatre Showcases “Willy Wonka” Musical

Theater directors and cast members reflect on their fall musical

First+rehearsal+with+pit+and+cast+

Theatre Showcases “Willy Wonka” Musical

First rehearsal with pit and cast

First rehearsal with pit and cast

Reedy High School

First rehearsal with pit and cast

Reedy High School

Reedy High School

First rehearsal with pit and cast

Amiya, Staff Reporter

Reedy’s production of Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka was held on November 1 and 2 at 7 p.m. and November 3 at 5 p.m. in the auditorium. This musical was the main focus for the theatre department from May to the beginning of November.

Though there have been many adaptations of the classic story, this one was more similar to the Gene Wilder movie rather than the original book.

“It’s a little more optimistic and naive,” theatre teacher Aaron Powell said. “It doesn’t quite have the darker elements of Roald Dahl’s original story.”

Along with the story, musicals have what Director of Theatre Benjamin Shurr calls a “larger, more widespread process” compared to plays.

“The challenge for the set in this show is that in years past, most of the shows we’ve done were stagnant sets,” Shurr said. “In this show, we are in about 17 different areas, so the whole set constantly moves.”

Despite the difficulties of a musical, Shurr insists on bringing in a diverse variety of productions.

“I am always looking for shows that will challenge people,” Shurr said. “I also try to find things that haven’t really been done, and Willy Wonka hasn’t been done at the high school level at Frisco ISD.”

For the cast and crew, rehearsals until 6:30 p.m. everyday became part of the regular weekday schedule beginning in September.

“We have been working really hard in rehearsals, and we’ve grown a lot.” cast member Sarah Kapoor said. “Like Mr. Shurr always says, ‘we were good and now we’re going to be great.’”  

The production also relied heavily on the help and involvement of other fine arts departments in addition to theatre.

“We wouldn’t be able to do this without Mrs. Franklin, Mr. Lane, Mr. Smith and the other musical directors,” Powell said. “It was really cool when we ran it together with the orchestra in the pit. It was magical.”

With 112 hard workers in this production, Shurr hoped the audience was able to connect with the story.

“We’ve got a great group of ladies and gentlemen here who are very talented and professional,” Powell said. “They’re really able to dig deep, take a simple story, and bring it to life.”