Deleto Aledo

Football faces 7 time state champion, Aledo Bearcats, in the fourth round of playoffs

Deleto Aledo

Melissa Vick, Sports Writer

The Reedy Lions advance to the fourth round against the Aledo Bearcats at Northwest ISD Stadium, Saturday, Dec. 8.

On Nov. 30, the Reedy Lions took on the Centennial Spartans in round three of the state football playoffs at Dragon Stadium in Southlake, Texas. For their overall season, the Reedy Lions have been undefeated, making them first seed in their district. The players and coaches are preparing for yet another match against an elite football program in order to advance to the state quarter finals.

This Friday night, the Reedy Lions continued to prove their ability to get ahead against any opponent. In the duration of the first quarter, the Lions got ahead by ten points as their defense held the Spartans to zero points. Will Harbor, Reedy kicker, scored three points for a field goal after the fourth down early in the quarter. Towards the end of the first quarter, Josh Foskey ran in the ball to score the first touchdown of the game and get the Lions to 10-0.

“My teammates do a great job at helping me out on offense,” said Reedy Quarterback Josh Foskey. “We work well together to execute the plays.” Scoring early on in the game is important because it’s easier to maintain a lead than having to comeback in the end. The Reedy Lions do a great job at executing plays in the beginning and putting them in good situations for the rest of the game.

During the second quarter, the Reedy Lions held the Spartans again to zero points throughout the entire half. The defense continued to sustain and shut the Spartan offense down in key plays. “We continue to work hard defensively,” said Reedy Football Head Coach, Chad Cole. “They excelled in getting the ball back to the offense as much as possible.” Throughout the game against Centennial, the Reedy defense obtained three fumble recoveries to get the ball back to their offense. With six minutes left in the second quarter, another Reedy touchdown was ran in by the kicker, Will Harbor, to get the Lions at 20-0 for the first half. “[Will] is definitely the heart and soul of this team,” said Coach Cole. “He’s a player that gets the job done and can help us in key situations.” The Lions were in a great spot going into the second half which gave them confidence for the rest of the game.

The first half was definitely a success for the Reedy Lions both offensively and defensively. During half time, the coaches and players worked to maintain the right perspective for the rest of the game. “I told the players to be more physical,” said Coach Cole. “I told them that it’s the start of a new half and not to let the first half get in their head.” The Reedy Lions came out for the third quarter and held the Spartans to only seven points. The players and coaches continued to focus on their physicality for the rest of the game. With three minutes left in the third quarter, the game went under a lightning watch for the next two hours. However, the game was able to resume and the third quarter ended with the Lions leading the Spartans 20-7.

With two hours of delay, it’s easy to get distracted and lose focus on the game. However, during the fourth quarter, the Lions took this time to finish the game they started. The players came out strong and focused as they scored another two touchdowns, leading the Spartans 34-7 till the end of the game. Having such a successful victory puts them in a good mindset for continuing on in playoffs. The Lions hope to use Friday night’s win to give them momentum for their next game. “Momentum is a key part in football,” said Josh Foskey “We’re gonna play a great team next week, but we are going in with high hopes and a lot of momentum so it’ll be a good game.”

The game against Aledo was originally scheduled to play Friday night but, due to expected rain, the game has been rescheduled. The Reedy Lions will go on to play the Aledo Bearcats at 4:00 pm on Saturday Dec. 8 at Northwest ISD Stadium. The Lions are using this week to prepare mentally and physically for another strong opponent. The players and coaches have high hopes for continuing to the state quarterfinals. Come out and support the Reedy Lions, at 7:30 Friday night, as they go head to head against the Aledo Bearcats in the fourth round of playoffs.