Band Hosts “Feed the Need” Fundraiser

Band directors and students react to their charitable fundraiser

Band Hosts “Feed the Need” Fundraiser

Amiya Chennappan, Staff Writer

The band will be hosting a “Feed the Need” packing party on Dec. 8 packaging 10,000 meals and will distribute them locally and to hungary children in Haiti. In order to raise the money for the food and help the school’s own band program, band members have been working hard raising money since Nov. 5.

After participating in various types of fundraisers, including selling items and a march-a-thon, the band wanted something with a little more heart in it.

“We wanted to do something different that would not just benefit the band program, but would benefit people in need as well,” Assistant Band Director, Bryn Roberts said. “We were really excited about the possibility and it just seemed like something much more meaningful to do than the typical fundraiser.”

In fact, this is the first time any band program in the entire state has hosted this type of fundraiser. The community is showing their support with Frisco Mayor Jeff Cheney coming to give a speech and companies donating to the event.

“I think it’s going to be a lot of fun for the whole band together in an assembly line,” Roberts said. “There will be food, music, and fun, so it’s kind of a party and at the same time we will be getting a lot work done.”

Band students are incentivized to raise money with prizes including a family vacation for one of the students. However, they also recognize the more important needs.

“I was inspired to raise money because it was a good cause and our band is in need of funds,” band member, Austin Huizinga said. “I hope that we can raise as much money as possible and help feed as many people as we can.”

Although the money going to the food packages will be helpful to those in need, the funds staying with the band program will also be put to good use.

“We are hoping to provide some scholarships for some band students that have some financial needs as well,” Roberts said. “We also want to help students with band fees and to provide scholarships for students that want to take private lessons.”

Roberts says the fundraiser will bring the band “closer together as an organization” and hopes ultimately that the band students will be inspired to serve.

“I hope that it helps them to think about more than just the people they see on a daily basis, to think about those across the world that are in need,” Roberts said. “Hopefully it spurs in them a love for service and makes them want to seek out opportunities where they can be more involved with service and helping others.”

To donate and help the families in need, text REEDY to the number 71777.