Football Wraps Up Season

Coach Cole reflects on their successful season

Football Wraps Up Season

Melissa Vick, Sports Writer

On Saturday December 8, the Reedy Lions concluded their 2018 season with a loss to the Aledo Bearcats in the fourth round of playoffs. It was a very emotional night as football, drill team, band, and cheer seniors had to say goodbye to the friday night lights. The football team had an impressive season of success, and they are hopeful for what the next few years will bring.

The Lions went undefeated throughout all of district and made a playoff run further than they’d ever gone before. The football program is dedicated to building teamwork, skill, and confidence to prepare them for their district and playoff seasons.

Going undefeated all season, the Lions continued to work on staying in perspective. “Success breeds success, and winning is contagious,” said Reedy Football Head Coach, Chad Cole. “I thought that our kids did a great job of not getting complacent.”

Winning was something that the players and coaches strived for and they worked together to achieve their ambitions. “We enjoyed winning,” said Coach Cole. “Our kids got used to it, and they craved it towards the end of the season.” Winning was something that didn’t just give the football team confidence in themselves, but it was also something that brought the school together and gave the students something too. “Given the number of students that are involved in football games on friday nights, winning generates excitement and it gets people involved in the process,” said Coach Cole. “The excitement can’t help but be contagious for the team as well as other athletes in the school.” When the atmosphere is hyped up, it gives the football team confidence and the feeling of support from their community, and that has been their biggest victory all season.

The Lions had a long and exciting season, but as they come to terms with the end of one year, they prepare for the seasons ahead of them. This past week the football seniors had a chance to share their experiences and advice for the underclassmen in the program. “It was really neat to hear those seniors speak about the program that they created, and the expectations they had for the underclassmen moving forward,” said Coach Cole. “The seniors spoke about what this program meant to them, what they did to earn all this success, and the work that they put in to build a program into what it is today.”

With being the first class to go through the program from freshman to seniors, these athletes put lots of hard work into making a name for Reedy Football throughout their four years. “I think they left a very strong legacy, and I think we’re established now, which is really cool,” said Coach Cole. “This senior class set the bar really high.”

The Reedy Lions are excited to continue their success in the years to come and to feed off of the success that this year’s senior class had laid out for them. The players have all year to work on things like talent and skill, but one thing that the underclassmen learned from the senior class was their advice to enjoy every minute of it– even in offseason. “At the end of the day, you’re not going to remember the records, but you’re going to remember the memories and the friendships made within the team,” said Coach Cole. “So my hope for the underclassmen is that they just enjoy it while it lasts and that they don’t take a single day for granted because it will be over before they know it.”

Although the Lions strived for success and a perfect record all year long, the athletes took time to appreciate the friendships and the memories they made throughout the years. “If I have athletes in my program that are enjoying what they’re doing, I’ll be proud no matter what the outcome is,” said Coach Cole. “That’s the kind of program we’re looking to build here at Reedy High School.”