Pluck and Prep

Orchestra students and Mr. Lane discuss their upcoming UIL season

Pluck and Prep

Reedy Orchestra

Reedy Orchestra

Reedy Orchestra

Olivia Marbury, Staff Writer

Orchestra students are not only adjusting to the second semester by balancing schoolwork and extracurriculars but are also preparing for competition as the fine arts UIL season begins.

“UIL is a concert and sight-reading contest that happens for multiple organizations throughout the campus,” orchestra director Mr. Lane said. “In the music world, UIL is like our test or EOC for orchestra where we get evaluated.”

UIL has music, academic, and athletic contests where a variety of students compete for titles. Lane adds that UIL is not a competition for advancements, like scholarship opportunities or all- state and all-region, but a place where questions like  “how are you doing and what level of mastery is your program reaching” are addressed.

“I go to UIL for NHS, Spanish National Honors Society, and National Technical Honors society,” junior cello player Mihir Arora said. “It’s different in Orchestra while preparing for UIL because we have sectionals once a week after school and some days it’s even on Fridays which can be hard.”

To prepare for competition, students work on concert pieces, practice scales in different positions, and sight read during class and after school in rehearsals.

“In January and February it gets a little busy because we have to practice after school in rehearsals every week,” junior viola player Christian Binns said. “Even though it can be hard sometimes, Reedy Orchestra is like a family and everybody, even people in different orchestras, get along. We all just have a good time.”

Music is a huge priority in the orchestra program as well as building lasting relationships, a giving community, and new skills.

“For Reedy Orchestra we really try to foster a family environment and a family community between all of our students across all five of our orchestras, so that people have a place where they feel that they belong and have people that they can depend on,” Lane said. “It becomes a place where it’s not just about the music but the types of relationships that we’re building and the culture that we’re establishing and hopefully impacting the community as a whole.”