Hoops, They Did It Again

Girls basketball players and coaches reflect on their recent season and hopes for next year

Hoops, They Did It Again

Melissa Vick

Melissa Vick

Melissa Vick

Melissa Vick, Sports Writer

As the Reedy Varsity Girls Basketball team continues in their district season with seven wins and nine losses, they reflect on their accomplishments so far while setting high goals for the rest of the season.

The Reedy Girls Basketball teams have been working hard year after year to build a strong and successful program for their school. “The overall mindset of the girls this year has been to be a team,” said Varsity Head Coach Sarah Stanley. “It’s been really cool to see the bond that has formed between the girls as they overcome challenges and obstacles.” Every coach and player has something unique to bring to each team, and the girls strive to come together as a family, playing the sport they all love.

One of the main values that the players and coaches focus on is positivity. “Through some challenges and struggles this season, the team has done well to work hard and stay positive,” said Coach Stanley. “They constantly strive to fight for success and improve every chance they get, despite where they fall in district.” It’s easy for teams to give up when faced with struggles, but the girls have shown their ability to find the positives in every situation.

Improvement on skill and confidence is very important to the entire basketball program. “Throughout district, we have been working on staying calm in pressure situations,” said Reedy junior player Bella Vu. “We strive to control-the-controllables in every game.” Even as their district season is beginning to wrap-up, the girls do their best to enjoy every moment as a team.

The seniors in the program: Sophia Thomas, Natalie Nava, Berkley Akeroyd, Brynne Hammes and DeLauren Washington are showing leadership on and off the court during their last season at Reedy. This senior class holds a special place in the basketball program because they are the first class to go through the program all four years. “These senior are the people that really grew this program into what it is today,” said Coach Stanley. “They are such great leaders that hold everyone together with their experience.”

As the season wraps up, the players and coaches continue to set goals to finish strong in the season and give their seniors a memorable last few games. “My hopes for the rest of district is that we finish strong, especially for our seniors,” said Bella Vu. “The are constantly pushing us to do our best and we want to enjoy every last moment with them here.”

The Lions will go on to play their next district home game against the Frisco Raccoons Friday night, Feb. 1. The players love to see support in the stands as they strive to finish every game strong.