What’s that Smell?

Administration reflects on the stench that disturbs students walking in the hallways, resembling the smell of sewage

What’s that Smell?

Amiya Chennappan, Staff Writer

Many students have complained about the sewage smell that often fills our school hallways. While this remains as an irritant for students and staff alike, comments seem to go unaddressed by the school’s administration.

“A lot of the students find that the smell is uncomfortable and distracting.” sophomore Sathvika Ganesan said. “I feel our school should find the cause of the problem and find a potential solution.”

The issue has existed before Reedy was built with the natural fluids in the ground that continue to flow, which is possibly exacerbated with the building being located on a hill.

“It’s nothing that is detrimental to us or harmful to us to breathe,” Assistant Principal Max Smith said. “We’ve had engineers go underneath to make sure the structure isn’t moving, and it’s not corroding our foundation.”

With the territory where the school was built, the smell tends to be noticed when the ground is wet, emphasising the natural repercussions of the land.

“A couple of the older schools suffer the same thing like Centennial and Frisco High,” Smith said. “They have structures underneath them, like storages, so sometimes water gets in them.”

Because the school is still fairly new, it’s warranty continues to be valid, so Smith says if there were structural issues, the school would, “push the green light,” and take steps to fix the foundation.

“Even though we are aware, we’re always addressing it when it happens,” Smith said. “We always send out a crew just to make sure everything is good because the one time that you don’t, something might happen.”

Smith acknowledges the smell would be “distracting” to students in their learning environment, but is assured that they will be understanding after becoming aware of the natural circumstances surrounding the issue.