Is Higher Education Really Important?

Higher education might not be the best option for some students

Is Higher Education Really Important?

Vedant Joshi, General Reporter

How may high school students drop out of school each year? The answer is truly astonishing. According to the U.S. Department of Education, each year 1.2 million students drop out of high school in the United States alone. In other words, a student drops out of high school every 26 seconds. The students that drop out do not understand the importance of a higher education, which gives a better quality of life and more high earning job opportunities.

Jocelyn Harty, AP World History teacher at Reedy High School feels that higher education is extremely important in today’s competitive world.

“Most jobs today require a college degree. So, higher education is extremely important,” says Mrs. Harty. Higher education broadens your horizons and even though it is quite expensive, it can be beneficial in the long run. Think of college fees as a down payment on your future. Just graduating high school is not enough to maintain a constant life, and if you want to have a good life in the future, then just having a high school diploma is simply not sustainable.

“Only a high school diploma is not that great. However, there are options other than college. There are trade schools. With just a high school diploma, the jobs available to you include plumbing, repair and electrician related jobs. If you go to college, your chances at getting a higher paying job are greatly increased. Hence, all platforms of higher education provide a tremendous amount of assistance and result in a far better quality of life,” says Mrs. Harty.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, a high school dropout will earn $200,000 less than a high school graduate over his lifetime. That is almost a million dollars less than a college graduate. This sums up to a huge amount of money, which is why if you want a higher paying job, a higher education is best for you.

Being a college graduate is not instant gratification, but it is tremendously beneficial in the long run. While some say that college education or higher education of any sort is not important, I digress. Higher education is like a key which opens the door for all sorts of higher paying, more gratifying jobs.

However, a higher education does not just mean a bigger salary. According to Travis Reports, U.S. high school dropouts commit 75 percent of crimes across the country. But why do they commit blue-collar crimes such as murder and petty theft? Do they need the money?

But not all higher education is truly necessary.

“If you want to become a doctor, I would suggest getting a Ph.D. If you want to become a mechanical engineer, you don’t need a Ph.D. and a master’s degree is enough,” says Mrs. Harty.

High school teaches you new skills and helps you analyze situations and explore new ideas. However, a college education solidifies your foundation of the world around you, making you more prepared to face the real world.

A higher education promotes competitive spirits amongst students, which leads to students striving more for perfection. If you want to be better, then you have to work harder, and a higher education does just that. In the immortal words of Nelson Mandela, “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”

The importance of a higher education cannot be stressed enough. It gives you a better quality of life. You learn new skills; you invest in your future.