Early Preparation Leads To Perfect Score

One student describes her experience receiving a perfect SAT score

Anna Deardorff, Senior Writer

An ACT or SAT is typically required in order to apply for college, and most students take the process seriously. A certain individual stands out amongst others in their achievement when it comes to this. Junior, Sujay Vadalakona, received a perfect score on his SAT in August of 2018 after months of practice.

“I felt really confident that I got a high score,” Vadalakona said. “I wasn’t sure whether it was perfect or not, but I knew it was definitely up there. I was just lucky to get the 1600.”  

Sujay took the test just once and received the score he wanted. The hardworking junior began preparing for it the summer of and took it in late August.

“I took many practice tests throughout the whole year,” Vadalakona said. “I’m pretty sure it is infamous now, but there is a place called KD where everyone goes to practice. That’s mostly what I use and where I spend most of my time.”  

It often takes students two or three times before getting the score they desire, which in part is due to getting the test-taking routine down. Not only did Sujay have a clear understanding of how to take the test, but what to do beforehand as well.

“Always get enough sleep before the test,” Vadalakona said. “It’s a dumb idea not to go to sleep early before the test because you want to be mentally prepared. Eat breakfast, keep yourself in a healthy state of mind, and you’ll be fine.”  

Sujay admits that the score, “Opened up the prospect for a lot of colleges,”  especially ones that he hadn’t thought of before. With there being a greater possibility of Ivy Leagues accepting him, Stanford is now Sujay’s top choice school.

“I’m really interested in computer science, and Stanford has an excellent program,” Vadalakonda said. “The weather is also wonderful.”  

When asked how getting a perfect score ranks on his list of personal achievements, Sujay described it as the, “Third best thing,” he has done in his life, closely following time he spends with his family and sleeping.

“My parents were really happy when it happened,” Vadalakona said with a smile. “They congratulated me, told my family, and all of their friends.”

Though Sujay’s accomplishment was rare, it is quite possible to achieve with time and self discipline.  

“Keep trying,” Vadalakonda suggests. “A week before the test, don’t do any studying. Try to get it done early, and that way your entire junior year will be a breeze.”