Pitching Into State

Softball discusses their upcoming game

Pitching Into State

Melissa Vick, Sports Writer

Reedy High School Softball will face the Forney Jackrabbits in a one-game series on Friday, May 24 for the fifth round title and chance to go to state. The Lions are having great success in their first four rounds of playoffs and have their hearts set on making history for Reedy.

The Lions competed in a tough district all season long for their spot in the playoffs. The team went 13 and 5 in district play to claim third place overall. Reedy Lions Softball is the only team left in playoffs to represent Frisco ISD.

As they transitioned into playoffs, their mindset has grown with confidence and motivation as the stakes get higher than ever. Each playoff round they enter is another opponent, another battle, and another chance to make history.

“Our mindset has changed a lot as we’ve progressed throughout playoffs because we always have something on the line as opposed to district, where we know we will always play another game,” said Reedy shortstop, Maia Wark. “If we lose in playoffs, that’s the end of our season and the last game for our seniors, so we always try to play our best because we owe that to our seniors.”

Reedy softball has played four rounds in district against other competitive teams to secure their game for round five against Forney High School. As they go into round five of playoffs, they focus on their goals as a team to keep them united.

“Going into fifth round, I really want us to come together as a team for some tough competition that may be coming up,” said Wark. “I think having that one leader to keep the team together for the upcoming games is one of our goals so that we can 

always count on each other in tough situations.”

The two seniors on the team, Emily Eaton and Ariel Gauthreaux, are in their final few games of high school softball and work together to be leaders on the team in their playoff run. Both of the seniors have been a part of the Reedy softball program since they were freshman, and are looking to end their last season with success.

“Our seniors have done a really great job this year because they are always motivating us and staying positive in tough situations,” said Wark. “It’ll be hard 

when they leave, because they have been such an important part of our team this year.”

Before going into their fifth round in playoffs, they look back on the good things that have come out of their successful 

season both in district and in playoffs.

“We are more of a family this year on and off the field,” said Wark. “We are closer on the field because we can trust each other to do their job in a tight situation.”