Serving Strong

Veteran teachers discuss their time serving in the military

Serving Strong

Anna Deardorff, Sports and News Editor

America is the land of the free. This privilege was made possible due to the heroes of our nation. Today we honor the selfless soldiers who put their lives on the line, as well as the members of the military who work hard behind the scenes to give soldiers the recognition they deserve. 

“My goal was to do something honorable after high school,” Mr. Fontana said. “I had a sense of service built in me throughout my family, and in order to accomplish that, I thought the marines would be a good step.” 

Serving in the military can look like many different things. While some serve in the armed forces, others can show their dedication by being employed as a broadcast reporter, like our very own english and debate teacher Mrs. Higgs.

“I had a fantastic time,” Higgs said. “I got to interview generals, officers, and spin records all day boosting morale for the army, so it really was a great experience.” 

Mrs. Higgs served for four years in five different locations around the country, she got to experience and learn about the military from an outside perspective at times.

“Teamwork is huge in the military, and everything is hands on training,” Mrs. Higgs said. “Attention to detail is immensely important when dealing with weapons. There were a ton of lessons I learned.”

Both Mr. Fontana and Mrs. Higgs took what they learned from their experience serving back with them into the real world. 

“The military teaches you that maturity and real world experience that you don’t get in high school or early college,” Fontana said. “It gave me a sense of why we have the freedoms we have today from a ground level. You understand growing up that people fought for that, but you get to see what the other side of that looks like.”  

From Mrs. Higgs’ perspective, she could apply what she learned from the military into her classroom and make a difference on the students she was teaching. 

“I want students to have that attention to detail and help their fellow classmates,” Higgs said. “The military has the same expectations, and you bring it into the classroom.” 

Mrs. Higgs recognizes the changes the military is facing with these times, but encourages students to get involved if it is what they are called to do. 

“The experiences that the military gives you, no matter what branch you serve in, is going to be a challenging enlistment,” Mrs. Higgs said. “You’re going to grow tremendously in a short amount of time mentally and physically.”