A Fine Arts Winter Wonderland

Fine arts students discuss the upcoming winter festival

A Fine Arts Winter Wonderland

Katharine Walker, Online Editor

The biannual Fine Arts Winter Festival will occur on December 4 and 5 at 7 p.m. in the Reedy Auditorium. This fine arts tradition showcases individual and combined holiday performances for all departments. The theme this year is “Holidays on Stage and Screen,” and everyone in the community is welcome to attend.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun,” senior Madison Howell said. “All the fine arts will be involved. Last year it went really well, and this year, we stepped it up a notch, so it should go even better.”

Madison is involved in both band and choir, and she will be performing in both departments for the festival.

“Choir is singing two songs, and then we are going to sing the combined piece for the Polar Express with the rest of the fine arts,” Howell said. “In wind ensemble band, we are performing one of our songs, and then we are combining with orchestra for Sleigh Ride. The other two bands, for the first time, will participate in the festival too, by playing their own pieces.”

The wind ensemble band is doing a piece that is significantly more difficult than in previous years.

“This year, we are playing The Night Before Christmas,” Howell said. “It requires a narrator, and so, it’s going to be hard to stay with the narrator tempo-wise and to coordinate our parts with him.”

All organizations have been putting a substantial amount of time and effort into learning their parts for the festival.

“For choir, we started in October, before Halloween,” Howell said. “For band, we started in November, just after our marching season ended, so that was a quick turnaround.”

For sophomore band member, Ty McElroye, this is his first Winter Festival, so he is “really excited for it.”

“I think my favorite part is going to be the combined performances,” McElroye said. “It shows that the fine arts is connected, and we are not just separate entities.”

General admission is $5, and tickets can be purchased online at reedyorchestra.com/store or by scanning the QR code on the flyers posted around the school.

“This festival has become a tradition for all the fine arts,” McElroye said. “It combines all the fine arts into one big performance as a way to get festive for the holidays.”