Academic UIL

Academic UIL

After placing in District, regional qualifiers competed in the Academic UIL Competition at Prosper High School on April 7 and 8.

“Academic UIL is a series of contests sponsored by the state and allows students to compete in different academic contests,” Librarian Mrs. Lambert said. “It’s a great opportunity to showcase their academic abilities.”

UIL competitions give students that do not excel in sports or the arts a chance to join a team, bond with peers that have the same interests, and compete against other students in the state.

“These students had very challenging competition, but it was only through trial and tribulation that we really grew,” Debate and speech coach, Mr. Schaefer said. “Fortunately, because Frisco ISD is such a competitive district, we are able to create opportunities for students to perform at their best.”

After spending countless hours writing practice articles, freshman Katharine Walker’s hard work paid off when she achieved first place in Editorials and advanced to regional Journalism UIL.

“I didn’t know what to expect,” Walker said. “But it helped me to know where I stand in the district and it was a really valuable experience overall.”

Another notable student, sophomore Anish Patel, attended the regional accounting event where students must answer an 80 question math-based test.

“I took a lot of practice tests before competing,” Patel said. “I didn’t really expect myself to medal at all. There were a lot of harder competitors outside of our district.”

With other regional competitors such as junior Kunal Kapoor, junior Sanaa Abdullah, and more, the academic coaches are extremely proud of their students and acknowledge their hard work and dedication to the competition.

“I’m truly looking forward to seeing this team, and its members, continue to grow,” Mr. Schaefer said. “These young men and women work very hard, on top of their other personal, professional, and academic responsibilities.”