Preparations for the Spring

Over the last few weeks, the orchestra has showcased their hard work at their fall concert and TMEA All-Region auditions. Now students are beginning to prepare for UIL in the spring.

“Our concert had a great response from the community.” director Aryc Lane said. “I feel great about the outcome and I am excited for where they are heading.”

The Orchestra’s Fall Concert was a success in the eyes of all the students involved. They are ready to take their new skills and apply them to new music.

“We played well and incorporated emotions that we have been working on.” freshman Joseph Kafle said. “I wasn’t expecting anything different, we worked hard for this performance.”

All-State recordings were submitted on Oct. 29 and students are waiting for results. Fifteen students qualified for an All-Region Orchestra and two students advanced to State.

“Orchestra only has one region.” Lane said. “The groups are not separated into school divisions of 4A, 5A, or 6A. We compete against everyone from Plano, Prosper, and Little Elm.”
Every student had a unique All-Region experience. Some students look forward to this time of year where they get to put their own spin on a piece of music.

“All-Region was very nerve-racking because we had to prepare a lot for it in the weeks leading up to it.” junior Ryan Blackburn said, “ Now, I can focus on my favorite part of orchestra; the challenging ensemble pieces.”

The program has created an officer position; these students will help organize social events and take responsibility for their program. Newly appointed officer Ryan Blackburn is excited for the year ahead.

“I like having a positive influence on others.” Blackburn said. “The officers also make the orchestra more efficient, which helps everyone in the long-run.”

While the program is still growing, the students have big ambitions for the future and are ready to work hard to get there.
“We want it to be a strong program in FISD.” Lane said “ I want the students to leave this program better than when they came in.”