My Black Experince

My Black Experince

Olivia Marbury, Publication Editor

Black History Month Opinion Piece

Black History Month is an annual celebration during the month of February aimed to recognize, celebrate, and educate those on the many contributions Black Americans have made. Though the purpose of the month, and what it’s supposed to stand for is seemingly positive, as a person who is a part of the black community, it has grown more apparent that what Black history means to me, and the respect and importance it holds, is not shared. 

It’s unreasonable to expect those who don’t go through my black experience to view things in such ways I might; as morals stem from life’s experiences, and ultimately form the way we think. Though this fact holds true, it seems like our generation fails to draw the line between just jokes and plain disrespect. Consistently hearing the n-word being thrown around and played out stereotypes continuing to be passed and defended as jokes has grown to be unsettling.

With the city of  Frisco having a population of around 7% of blacks, there is no surprise that a feeling of not belonging has followed as I’ve grown up. As I grow more into myself, race, and culture, the privilege of finding clarity on who I am is easily mixed with an off feeling of frustration yet understanding. There are many advantages and privileges to being in the tight-knit community of Frisco, however, when people are always surrounded by those like-minded, the sheltered and accustomed ideals easily bleed into education. Exposure, representation, and overall education on not only black history but the many struggles blacks have and continue to endure are often skimmed over and even viewed as controversial. It’s almost like it’s hard for some to admit that racism still exists today. Of course, segregation and slavery are abolished, but because racism was institutionalized on blacks, there are undeniable lasting effects. Effects that students like me have to go through and effects that others can turn a blind eye to. These are the facts that I have not learned, but have had to experience. 

I can comfortably say that the most Black History I’ve learned is Harriet Tubman, where she often represents the topic of slavery as a whole, Martin Luther King Jr., often representing the Civil Rights Movement, and maybe a “fun fact” here and there on the creator of peanut butter or the traffic light. Don’t get me wrong, these people are revolutionary historical figures in black history, but there is so much more to know and learn. 

The necessity of needing to know more is why black history month exists. It is vital to erase the barrier of black history intended for blacks and shift to the fact that Black History is American history.