Will you be getting the COVID vaccine?

COVID-19 has agreeably taken over everyone’s lives, most importantly, student’s lives. Depending on where you live in America, you could either be an online or in-person student, both posing different challenges. But alas, the 1st phase of the COVID-19 vaccine has begun! So, will you get the vaccine?

Knowing that COVID will soon turn into a typical children’s cold is a positive outlook for the 2021-2022 school year. Still, it makes you wonder if that’s true.

“I think a lot of it depends on how things progress with Covid-19 over the spring semester,” Assistant Principal Lute Croy said. “I am hopeful that we will slow the transmission of the virus so that we can get back to some semblance of normalcy at school.”

Normalcy is something we all desperately want right now, but patience is what we need to learn, especially with slow roll-out of the vaccine.

“For the school year 2021 (beginning in August), I foresee many of the precautionary measures dissipating as more people have access to the vaccine,” Assistant Principal Grant Bergman said. “It sounds like vaccines will take a while before reaching the general population, so we will continue to keep the safety of our students and staff as a priority with Covid protocols.”

Now, the American people have to ask themselves, “Am I ready for the vaccine?”

“Personally, I will get the vaccine after there’s been enough time/data for me to make an informed decision,” Bergman said. “I am in no hurry to get in line at the moment, but have no reservations to get one, once I feel it is safe.”

If you have no underlying conditions, then waiting for the vaccine is perfectly fine, it’s best to let the more vulnerable go first. 

“My parents are in their 70’s, and they live with us,” Croy said. “I want to make sure that I keep them safe in our home, so I’ll probably get the vaccine.”

Some Americans are very skeptical of the COVID-19, stating that it was created a bit too quickly for their personal liking.

“If you are skeptical about the Pfizer vaccine, you should read articles online and visit the data that they’ve collected,” junior Olivia McCauley said. “You will learn that there are more benefits than there are risks, I believe.”

Let’s remind ourselves that, even though people are currently getting the vaccine, we still have to wear a mask (or two) and wash our hands!

“Stay safe,” Bergman said.” Keep others in mind when it comes to social distancing and wearing masks properly!”