Getting Ahead With UNT Now!

Demirah Sockwell
First year UNT Now! Students (from left to right) Hannah Phares, Luca Rusu, Presley Sockwell, and Lola Jimenez, presenting their semester long project.

There are several dual credit programs offered at FISD schools. One of which being UNT Now!, a program held at the University of North Texas’ Frisco campus. This program gives students the opportunity to complete two years of general studies. 

This program spans over two years starting junior year. Rising juniors considering this program should prepare for a heavy workload according to current UNT Now! students. 

“The workload was crazy at the beginning.” UNT Now! junior Izzy Pholman said. “I feel like it definitely gets easier the more you get used to it.”

This shared workload fosters strong bonds and friendships between students. Creating a collaborative environment is key within the program. 

“Since the start of the semester, I have grown much closer to my peers.” junior Presley Sockwell said. “The UNT Now! Program fosters many opportunities for students to get to know their peers through project based work and through that I have met many of my new best friends.”

These bonds between students have helped some overcome this challenging program, and manage stress. UNT Now! Students have uplifted and supported each other throughout the semester. 

“We’ve all become really close over the semester.” junior Tania Gallo said. “Since you have to be with the same people for two years you don’t really have a choice. We became close really fast… they make the classes more enjoyable.” 

Upcoming UNT Now! Students are learning about the program during FISD class meetings. Future students are worried about the workload, but are overall optimistic about the opportunity this program provides. 

“My biggest fear is just overloading myself with work” sophomore Izzy Jones said.  “I know that if I stay productive, and keep that mentality for the whole year, I will be able to accomplish it. It’s just going to be difficult.”

When asked whether or not they recommend this program, UNT Now! students highly recommended it. Many agree that the program is very beneficial. 

“Overall the program was really fun,” junior Jocelyn Ellison said. “ Leading up to it was stressful but the presentation came so naturally when we started going and made everything worth it. I think if you’re considering it you should definitely join.”