Future Health Professionals

HOSA, or Health Occupations Students of America, is a national organization designed to promote career opportunities in the healthcare industry and help students reach their goals of working in the health department.

At Reedy, HOSA is deeply involved in the community and reaches out to others by providing the service they love.

“HOSA impacts my future career by giving me more opportunities to volunteer medically, like at nursing homes,” HOSA President Isabella Rosa Nanini said. “The club is highly professional and really prepares you to see if you would like to have a career in the health department.”

HOSA gives members real life practice in the medical profession and involves them in the community.

“I joined HOSA because I would like to be a pediatrician and this organization provides me so much experience and volunteering opportunities,” junior Zara Khan said. “Last year I was an officer, and it really brought me closer to the people involved as well as giving a sense of family.”

Many students are involved in several clubs, organizations, and extracurriculars in addition to AP classes, so time management and prioritizing to give up your free and social time are essential to success.

“HOSA has gotten me more interested in the medical field, and considering I am also in Health Science 2 and ISM, I receive the best possible experience one can have in high school,” Vice President Jake Hoang said. “We volunteer at nursing homes and shadow doctors in hospitals around the city, so HOSA is something that has really prepared me for that.”

General HOSA meetings occur once a month, but often times the organization holds socials or volunteers in between meetings, so members see one another regularly.

“The officers met a lot over the summer to try and plan the year and figure out ways to get more exposure to the organization, considering this is only its second year,” Hoang said. “We also have weekly officer meetings to decide on guest speakers and other opportunities we can provide.”

HOSA members and officers want to leave an impact on the school and community by getting more involved in service projects, and their core values are reflected in their actions.

“As president, my goal is to get all of the members more active in the organization, as well as do another wish reveal and fundraiser, something we are working on right now,” Nanini said. “I want to create a sense of community and service within HOSA and emulate that into our own community.”