A Season to Talk About

Photo by Alyssa McGowan

The cross country team’s impressive season is coming to an end. At the district meet, the girls finished sixth overall as a team, and the boys qualified for regionals, finishing third overall.

“I am proud of all of our runners for their attitude, dedication, work ethic and character. This was a great season, we are extremely proud of how we competed all year,” head coach Becky Craig said. “At districts, two of our girls finished in the top 25. Freshman Madison Lopez finished 20th, and junior Haley Heavner finished 22nd.”

The dignified cross-country team and their coaches have made Reedy very proud. They have sustained the school’s motto of “One Pride, Many Dreams.”

“I’m absolutely happy with the season my team and I have had,” freshman Wyatt Wingard said.”We qualified for regionals and I beat my personal record with a 16:34 on a 5K.”

Two runners from the boys team finished in the top ten at districts: Wyatt finished 3rd overall and was awarded newcomer over the year, and freshman Cameron Hunter finished sixth overall.

“Thanks to my coaches and teammates I have accomplished a lot this season,” Cameron said. “I ran a fast time at a course I was scared of, and I even ended up finishing just behind Wyatt.”

The coaches, Becky Craig and Trey Smith, are who the runners thank for all of their success.

“I’m really grateful for our coaches,” Wyatt said. “They always push us to our limits. It’s not always fun during the workouts, but it’s worth it. The hardest workouts are the ones that make us the strongest. When it’s hard to keep pushing, coach Smith and coach Craig are always helping us make it through and they are really supportive no matter what.”

The boys will compete in the Regional meet on Oct. 29th at Lynn Creek Park in Grand Prairie.

“I’m really excited for regionals,” Cameron said. “Our goal is to qualify for state and hopefully get a good enough time for future meets after state.”

No matter what happens, the runners know they have the support from the faculty and students 

“Overall, I’m beyond proud of how our athletes competed all year long,” coach Smith said. “And I’m looking forward to watching the boys run at regionals!”