Trying Something New; Advisory

Starting April 10, the Pride Time schedule will be in effect every day for three weeks as a trial run for the new advisory period that will be implemented into the schedule full time next year. Frisco ISD has implemented this new system for all high schools in an attempt to encourage tutorials and give time back to students during the school day.

“The decision to create this trial run for an advisory period was very much a group effort, and had input from all of the staff on campus,” Assistant Principal Heather Albuquerque said. “In the light of knowing that an advisory was probably coming, we wanted to be proactive in creating a time that would be flexible, have an academic focus, and allow students to choose where they spend this time.”

For the trial run this year, advisory will be between first and second period; however, next year it will be between second and third period.

“Advisory period next year is going to be amazing because all of the students who are so busy before and after school now get an opportunity to complete work in the middle of the day,” Ms. Amanda Fannin, AP English teacher, said. “The students will hopefully be less stressed and not slack as much on certain assignments because of this extra time.”

Teachers will be available for tutorials any day except the closed tutorial days that are assigned to students failing a class. The closed tutorial days are as follows: Monday-Math, Tuesday-English, Wednesday-Pride Time, Thursday-Science, Friday-Social Studies.

“I am definitely going to Chemistry and Spanish for tutorials every day,” sophomore Kenneth Greer said. “I know that it will help me to improve my grades and get extra work done.”

If a student does not wish to attend a tutorial, there are many other locations to socialize or complete homework, such as the manned computer labs, library, cafeteria, and courtyard. However, once a student has chosen a location, they must stay there for the remainder of the period.

“Advisory period can be used to make up quizzes,” Mrs. Albuquerque said. “However tests that would take longer than 20 minutes probably still need to be in regular tutorials.”

Once a week, teachers will meet with each student individually to discuss grades and assign possible tutorials to keep students accountable for their work.

“I hope to balance my time between socializing and completing homework,” Greer said. “Tutorials will be very beneficial to athletes in particular because we often don’t have the time to go in before or after school.”

This trial run will hopefully resolve any setbacks to perfect the period for next year.

“My biggest concern is attendance,” Fannin said. “How we are going to manage holding kids accountable for where they’re supposed to be will be difficult, but I am hopeful about it working out.”

The advisory period will give students the necessary time to take a break during the school day or finish up homework from the night before.

“Teachers are giving us feedback, so we will see what kind of suggestions we get,” Mrs. Albuquerque said. “I am hoping to earn time back for students and gain more success because of that time!”