National Honor Society

The National Honor Society (NHS) is a national organization established to recognize students who demonstrate excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character.

Reedy’s NHS members are a big component to many school events and functions, such as Meet the Teacher Night, Community Pep Rally, and the College Fair. They have also volunteered countless hours in several community organizations and also in various FISD elementary and middle school events.

“I was with our NHS students when they went shopping for the angels we adopted,” NHS sponsor, Mrs. Lambert said. “To see our students shopping for those in need, and donating their money to help children and families in our community was very heartwarming.”

NHS contributes to the community in any and every way they can; big or small. For example, you might know junior Andrew Iniguez as a friendly face of your morning at Reedy.

“I was famously known for holding the door open for students every morning,” Iniguez said. “I really enjoy knowing that I’m a part of a group dedicated to making lives better.”

In their April meeting, NHS elected members for various positions based off a two-minute speech given by each candidate. The remaining candidates were given positions as committee chairs.

“I thought to myself, NHS needs a strong leader, one that wouldn’t be afraid to speak up, to be outgoing enough to meet everyone, courageous enough to reach out to the community,” President Francisco Rodriguez said. “I had spent hours upon hours wondering who would be a great candidate for the position, at last concluded, why not me?”

Vice President Shawn Khetarpal is the epitome of NHS criteria. While in the top 1% of the 2018 graduating class, and having performed over 350 community service hours, he also demonstrates strong character and an amazing work ethic.

“I aim to work very closely with the President and other officers to ensure the club functions smoothly,” Khetarpal said. “I plan to work with all service committee chairs to ensure maximum participation from all NHS members to make a mark for the NHS chapter.”

Vivian Cassina was elected secretary, and will be responsible for organizing all forms and information to keep the officers and members updated. Ariana Tolbert was elected Historian, and will record NHS memories through a scrapbook and ensure communication with students and community members.

“Respect, tolerance, and kindness are some of the most important skills you can learn in my opinion,” Tolbert said. “One of the best ways to achieve this is through genuine service and desire to be good and do good, which is ultimately the goal of NHS.”