Teen’s Take on COVID-19

COVID-19 has rid the world of almost all its normalities. Since most of the adjustments and drastic transitions have taken place, many have had ample time to contemplate the effects of our new normal. 

“It still shocks me,” sixteen-year-old Kayla Miranda said. “Although we have been dealing with this pandemic for months it is just as shocking and unimaginable as it first seemed.” 

Currently in Texas, coronavirus cases are the lowest that they have been since late March. In regards to this, certain businesses like restaurants and salons followed by offices and gyms will continue to reopen while trying to maintain social distancing standards. 

“I don’t think it’s over yet,” Miranda said. “I’m not sure if reopening all these public places this weekend will be a good idea. I think it is just too soon to tell.” 

While the initial panic has died down Miranda agrees that we should not “disregard the coronavirus” and should  “stay at home” as much as possible to maintain everyone’s safety. 

Frisco Independent School District (FISD) schools have been closed for over 50 days, which has allowed students to form an opinion on the online learning program, eLearning, and adjust to new routines. 

“It is not terrible,” fifteen year old Brylea Moody said. “Initially I was really productive and followed a strict routine but that has changed. Now I wake up late, sleep even later, and finish homework at the last minute.  It’s not necessarily bad, just different.” 

Almost all public schools have closed due to COVID-19 and some are preparing to have the upcoming fall semester completely online. 

“I can’t see us getting back to normal,” Moody said. “I can’t imagine going back to school anytime soon. Without a vaccine, coronavirus cases are going to continue and I don’t think schools will be able to open. I know that IVY Leagues are preparing for an online fall semester. As far as I can tell we are stuck with online learning.” 

Mental health is an issue that many teens struggle with regardless of this pandemic. To help these students, school counselors have been making an effort to be available during these isolating times. 

“I miss school,” Moody said. “It was my source of socializing and now that’s gone. I feel so much more lonely during quarantine and sometimes that’s hard to deal with.” 

Some wish to go back to the lifestyle they lived before the pandemic, but others don’t mind some of the changes that have been made. 

“Personally I don’t mind parts of quarantine,” Sixteen year old Emma Thursby said. “I get much more sleep, I’m eating better, exercising, and doing my own thing. At the same time, my education is really suffering along with my extroverted personality. I miss human interaction and I miss my grandparents.” 

Many people are experiencing hard times during this crisis whether financially, or losing loved ones. 

“My heart goes out to all who are negatively affected,” Thursby said. “If we continue to stay safe and focus on the positive then one day this will all be over.”