Swimming With The Fish: Reedy Staff Edition

Presley Sockwell
Coach Gonzalez teaching a partners PE student how to throw a football. This year is Gonzalez’s first year at Reedy.

Surrounding the first day of school, there is excitement and energy radiating from students, teachers, administrators, and parents. This year,Reedy High School’s teachers and staff worked in the weeks prior to the first day of school on techniques welcome each and every one of their students.

The beginning of the school year can be anxiety-filled for new students. However, the beginning of the school year can also be nerve-wracking for new teachers and administrators.

“It was my first day of school just like the students’,” assistant soccer coach Christopher Gonzalez said. “I was coming into a new role in a new position at a new school. I had to get to learn the different personalities and different temperaments. To this day, I think I’m still always learning.”

However, even experienced staff still get nervous for the first day of school. Many Reedy staff members view the start of the school year as a new experience to connect with students.

“This year as an assistant principal, I have an effect on a greater range of students,” assistant principal Kelsey Clary said. “I get to help their teachers become better teachers to help them become better students.”

Some of this year’s new staff members see this school year as the start of their teaching career.

“It took me a while to take that leap to get into coaching,” Gonzalez said. “I always had subtle hints from family members and the universe. I don’t know if it’s God or what that pointed me in this direction. I’d say if you have that opportunity, or if you have any interest in teaching, I say, just go for it.”

According to some RHS staff, teaching is viewed as a vital part of forming new generations  This creates the prominent family atmosphere of Reedy that continues to bring in new staff members each year.

“The first time walking into Reedy you can tell that it really is a big family of teachers and students and people who genuinely care for each other, and that’s just a place that I want to be,” Clary said. “I want to be at a place where I can feel like I’m a part of something and not just a person in the building.”