How Students Feel About the Vaccine

The time we have all been looking forward to since last March has finally arrived. After months of development and medical trials, three vaccines have finally been approved for the public by the CDC. While many students, 16 and older, eagerly signed up for their nearest provider, others are a bit more reluctant on whether they want to get vaccinated or not.

“I am not planning on getting the vaccine any time soon,” Senior Carson Beck said. “I’m skeptical of it since it is so new and would like to see how others react first.” 

Sometimes opinions on the vaccine tend to implement partisan politics, but it seems that the reasoning behind many students’ reluctance is primarily due to misinformation. 

“I’ve heard some people’s arm really hurts afterward, and there’s a chance that it could make you infertile because there is not a long research study on it,” Senior Reese Greco said. “This is stuff I have heard; I haven’t done true research myself for the facts, though.”

According to the CDC website, there is a lot of evidence and scientific research supporting all the COVID-19 vaccines to be safe and effective. Nonetheless, many students are not exactly aware of all the available options, which also stops them from getting vaccinated. 

“I didn’t even know there are different kinds [of vaccines],” Greco said. 

The three types of vaccines available include Pfizer, open to people 16 years and older with two doses; Moderna, available to everyone over 18 years of age and two doses; and Johnson and Johnson, available to everyone over 18 and only one dose. Some students have already received one of these vaccines and are satisfied with their experience. 

“It feels nice to have the peace that I’m at less of a risk for carrying the virus and spreading it to others, especially loved ones,” Senior Camille Gonzales said about receiving the Pfizer vaccine.

As for how many are planning on getting the vaccine, in a sample of thirty-three Reedy upperclassmen students, 60.6% said they plan to get vaccinated soon.

“I plan on getting the vaccine to help stop the spread of COVID-19, to protect myself, my family members, and others around me,” Junior Nickita Dham said. “I am also planning on working again, so I [feel] that getting the vaccine would be the safest choice for me.”

In addition to the wide range of opinions on receiving the vaccine, many students also have contrasting views on whether the vaccine should be available to the public. 

“I think that all first responders, hospital members, and older-aged populations should be able to get it first, and after the majority of them get it, it should be open to the public,” Dham said. 

Currently, most vaccine providers are prioritizing vaccinating healthcare workers, people aged over 65, and people with underlying medical conditions. However, some students hold that it is time for the vaccine to be available to everyone. 

“I absolutely think the vaccine should be open to the public because it’s important that all people, whether they have an underlying health condition or not, have access to the resources to protect themselves from the virus if they wish to take those measures,” Gonzales said. 

For more information on the COVID-19 vaccine, visit www.cdc.gov.